SCL Wills and Probate, Room 103, Tallis House, 2 Tallis St, Temple, London EC4Y 0AB, Tel: 0203 004 8269

Do you want to know about Applying for Power of Attorney in Middlesex? then do check out this page to get complete information on Applying for Power of Attorney. 

The will solicitors in Middlesex at SCL Wills and Probate offer will writing services, estate planning advice, help applying for a power of attorney in Middlesex, and guidance throughout the probate process.

There are two types of power of attorney types that can be created: one for health and welfare and the other for property and financial affairs. You can choose to have one or both types of power of attorney.

Two Types of Lasting Power of Attorney

A health and welfare power of attorney appoints someone to make decisions regarding health, medical care, and daily care. This includes decisions about your medical care, daily routine, receiving life-sustaining medical treatment, or moving into a care home.

Should the time come when you are unable to make decisions regarding your own medical care, health, and welfare, your attorney will make these decisions on your behalf.

The property and financial affairs power of attorney names someone to handle your financial affairs if the time comes when you are not able to handle your own finances.

This person will make decisions about your money and property, such as collecting benefits or pensions, paying bills, managing bank accounts, or selling your home.

Applying for Power of Attorney


You will need to choose an attorney to act on your behalf. This person must be over the age of 18. You may decide to name a relative, friend, spouse, or civil partner, or a professional, such as a solicitor to act on your behalf.

This person must have the mental capacity to make his or her own decisions. When choosing a person or people to act in your best interests, there are some factors to consider, such as how well they look after their own finances, if you trust the person to make decisions in your interests, and how well you know the person.

Once you have decided on the person or people to name in your power of attorney, you will need to complete the necessary forms. The forms must be signed by you, your attorney, or attorneys and witnesses to be valid.

The power of attorney must be registered for the person to be able to make decisions for you. Our solicitors can guide you through the process and make sure all necessary steps are followed.

Changing or Ending a Power of Attorney

You can make changes to your lasting power of attorney, as long as you have the mental capacity to make decisions. You can remove one of your attorneys with a partial deed of revocation.

If you want to add another attorney, you must end your existing LPA and make a new one. In order to do this, the original power of attorney and a written deed of revocation must be sent to the Office of the Public Guardian.

The solicitors at SCL Wills and Probate are experienced in drafting wills and trusts, powers of attorney, estate planning, and probate. We clearly explain your options, answer your questions, and keep you informed every step of the way. For more information or to schedule an appointment with a solicitor, please contact our office.

Follow us on Facebook

© Copyright 2021 All Rights Reserved.